AS UTAHN AS CARAMEL APPLE PIE
Recipe by the Greenery Restaurant - Ogden, Utah
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
½ cup Shortening
4 cups Canned Apple Pie Filling
2 Yellow Apples
½ cup Sugar
2 ½ cups Cold Water
1 ½ cups Flour
½ can Sweet Condensed Milk
¼ cup Sugar
¼ cup Brown Sugar
¼ cup Karo Syrup
1 tablespoon Butter
1 teaspoon Vanilla
¾ cup Walnuts
- Begin the caramel topping by mixing the condensed milk, ¼ cup of sugar, brown sugar, and Karo syrup together in a large saucepan.
- Place on the stove on low heat and stir frequently until it thickens (about 45 min.).
- Peel the apples making sure all the skin is off and then core them.
- Discard the core and put the apple pieces into a long handled sauce pan.
- Put the ½ cup of sugar into the pan of cut apples and add ½ cup of cold water.
- Cook on high and stir intermittently with rubber spatula.
- Cook until the apples look slightly yellow and glazed but not mushy (about 15 min.).
- As the apples cook start the pie dough by placing the flour, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, and salt into a electric mixing bowl and mix on low speed.
- Add the shortening and continue to mix on low speed for about 2 min. or until the shortening has cut into the flour.
- Slowly add 1/3 cup of a cup of cold water while continuing to mix. Mix the dough until it is soft and pliable. Don't allow it to become sticky.
- Sprinkle flour over a 15” area and set pie dough here.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal size balls. Shape the balls into a flat circle about 5” in diameter.
- Flour the rolling pin and roll each into a flat 13” circle about 3/16” thick.
- Place into a glass pie plate and cut the edges of the dough from the edges, leaving ½” of dough extending below the edge of the plate.
- The apples should now be done. Pour them into a wire strainer over the sink to drain and then dump them back into the saucepan and set aside.
- Now finish the pie filing by putting the canned apple pie filling into the pan of cooked apples and mixing gently.
- Scoop the filling into the bottom piecrust and sprinkle cinnamon over the top of the mixture.
- Place the top crust onto the pie and cut the edges again so that ½” of dough extends below the edge of the plate.
- Fold the top and bottom crusts together, crimping and scalloping the edges with your fingers.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F, and set pie on top rack for 30 min.
- While the pie cooks, finish the caramel topping by adding the butter and vanilla to the caramel mixture and stirring it together. Fold in the walnuts.
- Remove pie from the oven, let cool and drizzle the caramel topping over the top of the pie.
- Enjoy! Yields 1 pie